When You Can Walk into Your Dreams | Deadly Sweet Lies


Deadly Sweet Lies (The Dream War Saga, #2) by Erica Cameron
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Release date: December 1st, 2015
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Paranormal
Source: Publisher
Pages: 400
Nadette Lawson knows when you’re lying.

Every night for the past two years, the Balasura have visited her dreams, enticing her to enter their world. And every night she’s seen through their lies. Now, they’re tired of playing in the shadows and they begin to stalk her in the waking world. It’s no longer just an invitation; if Nadette doesn’t join them, they’ll take her family. Forever. She needs help, and the haven she’s seeking may be just out of reach.

Julian Teagan is a master of deception.

To survive, he has to convince the world his mother isn’t useless, that everything’s fine, otherwise he’ll lose what little he has left in this life. He knows the lying won’t be enough to keep him and his mother in the shadows, but it’s all he knows. The only light of truth is Orane, a Balasura who sees past Julian’s facade and challenges him to face the darkness. Then Orane is killed, and Julian learns his mentor was far from innocent. The Balasura have hunted children like him for centuries, and their next target, Nadette is his one chance at finally being a part of something real. If Julian can just convince her to trust him…
Okay, I have to be honest. I didn't know that this book was the second in a series. I requested this book from NetGalley and read it at once without knowing there's a book I'm supposed to read first called Sing Sweet Nightingale. But, even though that's what happened, I still understood the story and nothing confused me at all. Later, I found out this was because the two books are narrated by different narrators and there's a huge time gap in between the events of the books. 

Okay, moving on...

The description of places and situations are so vivid and real. It made me easier to picture them in my head. I loved how the author really used all senses when writing a situation. As in, smell, sight, touch, and hearing. 

The characters are well-written yet they are polar opposites. I mean, they basically contradict each other. While Julian is goofy and laid back, Nadette is much more reserved and skeptical. And then there’s also the fact that Julian is a professional liar while Nadette is a human lie-detector.

I feel like I should create a point for this. Julian is the one thing that motivates me to read and read faster. He’s funny, goofy, witty, and then there’s the fact that he can lie to anyone he wants, but doesn’t. He’s very likable and most of the lines he says cracked me up. He’s like a silver lining amidst all the troubles and greys in the book. And there’s also the constant unique cursing of his, which he picks up after his mother, Lynnie.
Julian’s eyes narrow. “Oh, come on! I have to room with the psychopath in training?”
Ugh. Whatever. If I die, I’m coming back to haunt all of them.
Holy Sinatra and all the blessed Rat Pack.
The plot was very interesting… at first. I couldn’t stop reading after the first few chapters. Heck, I was already intrigued since the very first chapter—which features Julian gambling. There’s just no way you could predict what happens. I found myself gasping and sitting on the edge of my seat every time something unexpected happens. But, then... pretty much nothing really happens in the second half of the book. I was very disappointed. The first half of the book was really fast-paced and intense, but the second half was boring and so slow-paced. 

The ending is very predictable… and anti-climatic. Throughout the whole book, I was anticipating for something huge to happen and knock me off my chair. We got the huge thing, alright. But, it wasn’t nearly as huge as I anticipated it to be. It was.. what is it? Too meh and only lasted for a few pages.


In my opinion, the Balasura is highly overrated. Throughout the whole book, we were told that they were vicious, scary, dangerous, and unforgiving. But, there weren’t many proofs to prove it. I didn’t feel threatened by them, like how villains are supposed to make me feel. Their wickedness is more told than shown, and that just didn't work for me.

The romance didn't interest me at all. I knew it would happen, but I kept denying it because I didn't want that pairing  to come true. It wasn't swoon-worthy or cute or anything. In fact, I didn't feel anything at all while reading the romance part. 

Even though the romance is a total no. I found myself liking the platonic relationships between the opposite gender. It's more interesting than the romance. It's rare (in novels) nowadays to find girls and boys having relationships not more than friendships. So, that's why I was really happy to find so many platonic relationships in this book.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. The characters, especially Julian, are interesting and unique. Even though there are some things that made me decrease the stars, I still think this book is worth reading and enjoyable.


Thank you NetGalley for providing me an Advance Reading Copy!

My rating:  ★ ★ ★ . 5

Reviewed by Inas 

No comments

Bonjour!
I'd be glad if you leave a comment here!
Say whatever you like! I don't bite!