Girl Falls in Love with Her Stalker | The 5th Wave


The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey
Publisher: Penguin Books
Release date: May 7th, 2013
Genres: YA, Sci-Fi, Dystopian
Pages:  460
Source: Bought it
Goodreads Purchase
After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the lucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie's only hope for rescuing her brother--or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.
Review:

I'm gonna be frank. The only reason I read this novel in the first place was because I know that the movie is coming in 2016. I'm a big believer of the whole 'read-the-book-first-before-you-watch'. If the movie isn't coming, then maybe I wouldn't have read it. Or, maybe.. there's a chance I would read it just because it's so hyped. Then, it turned out that The 5th Wave is perhaps not as good as they say.

Set in a not-too-distant future when aliens come to earth to execute a, well, alien invasion. The goal is pretty much the same like every other alien there is in the fictional world, which is, to wipe out humanity and take over the earth. Why? Because the place where they used to live doesn't have enough resources and it's getting pretty cramped there and so they have to move. 

This book is mostly delivered in two point-of-views. From Cassie–our dear main character and another boy protagonist who I shouldn't name here for the sake of the plot. Both of the narrators seem to be living in parallel worlds, never having acknowledged one another's existence. To be honest, I like the boy's narration more than Cassie's. I actually liked some things about Cassie, like how she manages to survive all by her own out there. There's the blood of a survivalist running in her veins and I liked her for that. But then I found her stubbornness and prejudice annoying. There were also some points where I just couldn't stand her. Whereas for the male protagonist, I found his character unique and intriguing from the very beginning. No, his character is not the kind of unique leading to weirdness, but more like the kind of unique you simultaneously fall in love with.

The world-building is brilliant. You can clearly picture the catastrophe the aliens have made. The Waves of the humanity wipe-out is also so detailed, which leaves no question for more explanation. It's all so detailed, but not to the point that leads you to boredom. The plot is also one I would call exceptional. Even though how or why the narrators meet in the end under some circumstances is actually kinda cliche for me.

But, no matter how good a book could get, there were always some things that bothered me to no end. And this book is no exception. I found the whole romance ridiculous and a little bit forced. Like the blurb pretty much spoils you, Evan is Cassie's love interest. But, I found him creepy and very stalker-ish. Okay, fine, I also found him cute at some points, but that was quickly forgotten because of his creepiness and stalker-ish attitude. I didn't know what to think when he kisses her even though she already said NO. TWO. TIMES. Like, you actually want me to buy that? That was more like rape if you ask me. Not romance. I would probably prefer if the author actually give the guy protagonist a chance to create romance with Cassie, just to know which one of them is better. But, then I realize, it's gonna be a love-triangle. Which is a big no no.

And another thing that made me take a star from the rating was why? Why do the aliens have to do that much work to wipe out humanity? Why do they even bother to create not too mention many, but also complicated stages to actually clear out humans from earth? Why don't they just do the 2nd stage, which was big waves of water (like tsunami), again and again until there actually no people left on earth? It would be much faster and efficient and perhaps the humans can't even blame it on the aliens because, hey, it's the earth that creates tsunami, not them! It would also help us spare the agony to wait for more sequels to this series.

All in all, I think The 5th Wave has its times of brilliance which will keep you reading without stopping. But at some points, you just have to wonder out loud whether this book deserves to be in your 'best-alien-invasion-books' shelf or not.

What do you think of The 5th Wave? 

Are you excited for the movie? 

Comment below!


My rating:  ★ ★ ★ . 5

Reviewed by Inas 

No comments

Bonjour!
I'd be glad if you leave a comment here!
Say whatever you like! I don't bite!