From Fake Lovers to Real Ones | To All The Boys I've Loved Before


To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release date: April 15th, 2014
Genres: Romance, Contemporary, YA
Pages:  355
Source: Bought it
Goodreads Purchase
Lara Jean keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her.

They aren't love letters that anyone else wrote for her, these are ones she's written. One for every boy she's ever loved—five in all. When she writes, she can pour out her heart and soul and say all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only. Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly Lara Jean's love life goes from imaginary to out of control.



Review:
 
First of all, the reason I bought this novel was because of its cover. Just take a look at it. It's perfect. It's brilliant. I'm actually not a really big fan of contemporary novels, but the cover was so hard to resist I  couldn't help but buy it.

Second, can we just take a look at the synopsis? I can never imagine what it would be like to be in her shoes. While reading this book, I couldn't stop imagining myself as Lara Jean and try to picture myself writing the cheesiest love letters I could ever create to my crushes and then out of nowhere those letters are mailed. I probably would move out of my house and live in a cave in Zimbabwe. Conclusion: I would NEVER stand the embarrassment. 

The romance was pretty romantic for me. It wasn't too cheesy to the point where I find it there was no way in real life any guy would ever do that to a girl and it was cute in its own kind of way. It wasn't boring and I could completely relate to it as a common teenage girl. Even though the narration was too simple if you asked me, it was still great because I kept finding myself re-reading it so many times before I went to sleep at night. The relationship between the sisters (Margot, Lara Jean, Kitty) was what made this book stand out. The Song Sisters had such an unbreakable bond that it was kind of heartbreaking when they had a fight and not talking to each other.

The characters were also great. Maybe Lara Jean was kind of annoying at times and she was too wishy-washy and I couldn't help but yell at the book every time she embarrassed herself in front of everybody. But, she was also nice and caring and sweet. She was in charge of things while her sister was away for college and that made her become more responsible as she no longer had her sister to rely on. I actually found myself rooting for Josh at first, but then, when Peter arrived, I couldn't help but squeal in delight and fangirlingness every time Lara Jean and he did any interaction. Any. Interaction. 

I actually kind of hated the relationship between Lara Jean and Josh. Josh was Margot's boyfriend, but then they broke up at the beginning of the book since Margot didn't want to go to college with a boyfriend because of some reasons. The truth is, Lara Jean had a crush on Josh way before they started dating and when the letters were sent, Josh found out about it and was mad at Lara Jean for not telling him sooner because maybe things could be different. I mean, she couldn't just tell you her feelings while you're in a relationship with her SISTER, could she? I just couldn't understand what was going on with his twisted mind. Firsts, he told Lara Jean she was like a sister for him, and then he got mad at her for dating Peter, and finally he confessed his "feelings" for her when she was still in a relationship with Peter. I just couldn't understand him.

As for the Peter, can we just stop for a moment and admire him for a second? He was literally a dream come true for every girl in existence. He was sweet, caring, handsome, funny, but, of course, he wasn't perfect. He also had his imperfections, but it just made him more endearing in his kind of way. He and Lara Jean really got along well and I was totally rooting for them. They were so cute together and I couldn't stop re-reading their sweet moments because they were just so cute together. Oh? I already said it? Sorry not sorry, then. No matter how many times I re-read it, I kept wanting for more and more of their cuteness.

To All The Boys I've Loved Before is a love novel filled with ups and downs between the family and love relationships. While it doesn't really surpass my expectation, it's actually worth reading.

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Reviewed by Inas

No comments

Bonjour!
I'd be glad if you leave a comment here!
Say whatever you like! I don't bite!