Summer Love Triangle | The Summer I Turned Pretty


The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release date: April 6th, 2010
Genres: Romance, Contemporary, YA
Pages:  276
Source: Bought it
Goodreads Purchase
Some summers are just destined to be pretty.

When each summer begins, Belly leaves her school life behind and escapes to Cousins Beach, the place she has spent every summer of her life. Not only does the beach house mean home away from home, but her favorite people are there: Susannah, her mother's best friend, and her sons, Conrad and Jeremiah. Belly has been chasing Conrad for as long as she can remember, and more than anything, she hopes this summer will be different. Despite distractions from a new guy named Cam and lingering looks from Conrad's brother, Jeremiah, Belly's heart belongs to Conrad. Will he offer his to her? Will this be the summer that changes everything?
Review:
 
I'm writing this review months after I read the book, so maybe I'm going to leave a few things behind since I don't really remember all about this book and um, let's be honest, perhaps it wasn't really a good book if just a few months after reading it I forgot so many things.

I'm actually quite a fan of Jenny Han's work, after reading To All The Boys Before, I was totally hooked by the book and while waiting for the next book to come out at that time, I decided to buy her other books as well. I finally bought The Complete Summer I Turned Pretty Trilogy.

Now, let's talk about the main character, Belly. She was a typical teenager who had a crush for a guy, but she also knew that there were guys who were also interested in her, and she just went along with it. She was kind of selfish if you asked me. She was so protective over her guy friends and she pretty much went into a rage every time her guy friends had a good time with a girl but her. I mean, hello, I know they were your friends, but they didn't actually belong to you, did they? There was also a line from the book that pretty much sum up the whole story:
"Get your head out of your ass, Belly. The world doesn't revolve around you."
As for the guys, I actually liked Conrad a bit, but I liked Jeremiah more than him. Conrad was hard to resist because he was so HARD to get. Like, seriously, he was really hard to get. He acted so cool without trying to be cool, but actually he was making himself a little bit annoying at the same time. He pushed everyone away and every time somebody felt there was something wrong with him, he acted like it was no biggie and it just made him much much more annoying because hey, they were trying to help! But in the end of the day, he always did something unpredictable and protective that no matter what he did to Belly, he was always able to make her fall all over again for him.

]eremiah was so cute! He was A LOT nicer than Conrad and that was what I liked the best about him. He was funny and his presence made every situation lighter because he always threw jokes here and there. He also understood Belly and the two of them were like siblings who even had inside jokes and stuff together. I pitied him though. He always had a crush on Belly, but he knew that he stood no chance against Conrad and him being so nice to Belly and everyone else kind of made Belly unaware of his feelings for her.

There was another guy here, his name was Cam and honestly, I think he wasn't important at all. The book could go on all right without him and we wouldn't even notice.

All in all, this book was a light and good read if you're only looking for something to pass your time. But, it's not that good if you are expecting something swoon-worthy and another fictional character to root for.

My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars

Reviewed by Inas

No comments

Bonjour!
I'd be glad if you leave a comment here!
Say whatever you like! I don't bite!