A Heartfelt Tearjerker | Landline


Landline by Rainbow Rowell
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Release date: July 8th, 2014
Genres: Adult, Contemporary, Romance, Fantasy
Pages:  308
Source: Bought it
Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble; it has been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply — but that almost seems beside the point now.

Maybe that was always beside the point.

Two days before they’re supposed to visit Neal’s family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can’t go. She’s a TV writer, and something’s come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her — Neal is always a little upset with Georgie — but she doesn't expect him to pack up the kids and go home without her.



When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she’s finally done it. If she’s ruined everything.



That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It’s not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she’s been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts...



Is that what she’s supposed to do?



Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?
Review:

Another Young Adult contemporary novel by Rainbow Rowell, it seems. But, wait. This one isn't a Young Adult, it's an Adult novel. I didn't even realize it when I was reading this book. No wonder the main character is a grown woman with two kids and a husband. But, that's beside the point. I found myself slightly intrigued by the synopsis. I was like, what? Rainbow Rowell? The one who wrote Eleanor & Park writes a contemporary fantasy novel? It surely deserves some attention! I decided to give this book a chance since I've read Eleanor & Park and loved it so damn much.
If you're reading this review, I want you to know that I'm making this review based on my own very personal opinion. I've read other reviews on Goodreads and they aren't that great. I've tried to hate this book because of those reviews, but I just couldn't. I re-read the book again in order to make this review and I still enjoyed it as much as I did when I first read it, maybe even more. So, I'm just going to leave it up to you whether to trust the reviews on Goodreads or mine.

I really liked the story. It's so beautifully written. Rainbow has this thing in her writing that always makes me feel longing and aching deep inside, but also manages to stir and flutter my stomach as well (in an unbelievably good way). I liked how everything goes, from the 'magic phone' thing, her husband, especially her husband, and how the story unfolds in the end. I really loved the romance between the two of them and how each of them can't seem to function without the other.

It wasn't easy to root for the couple at first, since they're like 15 years older than me, wait, 20 years older than me and I pretty much couldn't relate to them since I'm not married. But, that's not even close to the truth because the more I read this book, the more I found Georgie and Neal adorable and practically my relationship goal. Like I said, Rainbow has a way of making that possible with her writing. Maybe the Adult genre could've been a Young Adult and I wouldn't even notice. 

I also liked the occasional flashbacks and how it would fit the story so effortlessly. The flashbacks are basically everything Neal-related and it means more romantic moments between the two of them. Even though most of the time the flashbacks are happening inside of Georgie's mind and not long after back something would just snap her back to reality, I would still feel the lingering sense of love in the bottom of my stomach long after that. And that, my friend, is something that doesn't happen often.

I loved every passing letters I've gone through in this book. Every moment made my heart ache and longs for something that's nonexistent (my husband. what?). I could relate to Georgie even though she's way older than me fictionally. I understood her obsession and love for Neal because if I was faced with the same kind of person/guy, I probably would've fallen for him too.

In all, I can say that I enjoyed this book very much and I'd love to tell the world to read it just so they can feel the pain and joy I felt when I was reading it. Everything about it is just heartwarming, aching, yet beautiful at the same time. This book is going to be one of those books that I'm gonna reread over and over again and yet I would never get bored and sick of it.

My rating:  
★ ★ ★ 

Reviewed by Inas

No comments

Bonjour!
I'd be glad if you leave a comment here!
Say whatever you like! I don't bite!