Boring but Cute | Amy & Roger's Epic Detour


Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release date: May 3rd, 2011
Genres: Contemporary, Romance, YA
Pages:  344
Source: Bought it
Amy Curry is not looking forward to her summer. Her mother decided to move across the country and now it's Amy's responsibility to get their car from California to Connecticut. The only problem is, since her father died in a car accident, she isn't ready to get behind the wheel. Enter Roger. An old family friend, he also has to make the cross-country trip - and has plenty of baggage of his own. The road home may be unfamiliar - especially with their friendship venturing into uncharted territory - but together, Amy and Roger will figure out how to map their way.


Review:
 
Looking for a summer read? Want to go on a road trip but too lazy to raise from your couch? This book is perfect for you! Maybe.

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour is a story about two people, Amy and Roger, who somehow have to go on a trip across the country just by themselves. Amy's mother is the one who makes their road trip map, as in, where to go, which hotels to stay, and the like. Unfortunately, the places she tells them to go are lame and they'd rather stay at home than drive four days through the most uninteresting route on America. So, they decide to create their own route to make the journey more bearable.


When I first skimmed the pages before reading, I noticed that the book was provided with pictures and scrapbook thingy. I felt like going on a trip with them because of this. When Amy said she ate dinner at blah and ate blah, there actually were pictures of the diner and the food. Imagine me drooling all over the pages because I was fasting that day. During their journey, Amy and Roger created playlists to accompany them, and there actually were playlists on the book! It would be better if you read the book while listening to the songs enlisted there. I didn't, though, because I didn't have internet at the moment.

The book is unbelievably light. It's perfect if you just want to read something without thinking too much. You can skip pages and you won't even miss a thing. It was cute, fun, but nothing more. I found myself wanting to read faster and faster between the pages. What stopped me was actually the pictures and notes that made me feel like everything that happened in the book was real.

The characters were unexceptional, I might say. I mean, yeah, she has to deal with grief and guilt because of her father's death. But I think there actually was nothing about her that stands out. I was writing this review two weeks after I finished it, and honestly I couldn't even remember anything about her now. Roger was okay, I suppose. He wasn't remarkable either. But I had to admit that he was endearing at some points.

The romance was thankfully not an insta-love. We could see hints of it along the way (literally) and I liked how Amy was finally able to open up herself to Roger after being completely shut out for too long. I also liked their game of twenty questions (or was it ten questions?) and since they have completely different kind of knowledge, it was fun to see how they answered each other questions.

In all, Amy & Roger's Epic Detour is something worth reading if you're just looking for a light read to go spend your spare time. With its occasional pictures, playlists, and notes that will accompany you through the journey, you probably would find yourself enjoying it more than I did.

My rating:  ★ . 5

Reviewed by Inas

No comments

Bonjour!
I'd be glad if you leave a comment here!
Say whatever you like! I don't bite!